Monday, February 7, 2011

Listmania!

I love lists.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again – I love lists. I just do. I feel so in control when I’ve made a list, whether a grocery list, to-do list, inventory, even a budget (I consider that a type of list).

Last night, as I crawled into bed, I realized my mind was still going a mile a minute, if not more. I was so comfortable, with my personal, portable heater pressed up against my leg (otherwise known as Bruiser), that I thought if I repeated everything to myself enough times, I’d remember it in the morning.

Yeah, right.

My short term memory has always been horrible. My long term memory is great – I have vivid memories from a camping trip when I was three (confirmed by my mom, who couldn’t believe I remembered those things), but my short term memory has always been horrible. When I was pregnant, I started getting “Pregnancy Brain” and began to write down more things than ever before (for fear of forgetting them). People told me “Mommy Brain” is even worse, but I didn’t believe them.

I believe them now.

Yesterday I was having a conversation with my mom, and halfway into it I forgot what the point of my story was. Completely forgot! I think of things to do a lot when I’m driving, and I’ll forget what they were by the time I get home (although I’ve started using a voice recording app on my phone for moments in the car). I had a brilliant idea for a new invention – something that was actually feasible for me to make, and that I think people would actually buy – and I CAN’T REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS!

So, as I lay in my warm bed last night, I realized there was no way I’d remember everything I needed to remember in the morning. I reached an arm out from under the covers and felt around in the dark for a notebook and something to write with. Using only the glare of the TV for light, I wrote my list…two pages worth! There’s no way I would have remembered half of those things today.

Last night, I thought my list looked fairly neat. Today, in natural light, alert and awake (well, awake at least), it’s not so neat. In fact, I had a hard time identifying some of my tasks.

See for yourself:


Can you decipher the entire list?*
 Pathetic, no? I felt so much better getting everything out of my head and onto paper. But now, I have to find the time to do everything! Guess I’d better stop blogging and get busy.

*One final note - I used to take pride in my handwriting.  Now, it's embarrassing.  I almost re-wrote the entire list before writing this post, but that takes the fun out of trying to decipher it.  I blame carpal tunnel (believe in it or not, but trust me it's real) and writing in the dark.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a listmaker too!! I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've laid awake thinking of the zillion things/ideas, but I'm too lazy to write them down. Probably would cut back on some sleepless nights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, you wanna hear something funny-ish? I got carpel tunnel at the end of my pregnancy up until my little lady was about 5 months old! I thought I was a weirdo for it, but turns out that's pretty normal. As is the Mommy Brain. I have started doing To Do lists again recently and that is the only way I would be able to do anything worth while (other than playing with Baby Girl). So be encouraged, you're doing pretty darn well figuring it out this early!

    ReplyDelete

Do you want to leave a comment? Don't be shy, go ahead! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know someone is reading my little old blog.