Friday, February 25, 2011

Adventures in Daycare

Well Blogland, it's been an emotional week. Not only have I been extremely busy at work (a first since coming back from maternity leave almost two months ago), but today marks the end of Busy's first week of daycare.


Out like a light...I love it when babies sleep like this.
I'm not sure how many of you out there have kids, and of those who do, how many have kids in daycare, but I can tell you, it's a stressful thing! First, you have to find somewhere to send your precious, beloved little bundle of joy. In my opinion, that is the hardest and most stressful thing about daycare. Luckily for me, I found a small, in-home daycare, the same place where a good friend's daughter went. Knowing that my friend and her husband trusted this woman with their daughter was HUGE for me, and was ultimately the deciding factor in choosing a daycare for Busy. Each time I went there, the owner immediately went to Busy, lifting her out of her carseat, hugging her, speaking to her softly and carrying her around to talk to the other children. And Busy seemed to love her! So, I knew we'd found the right place.

The second worst part of choosing a daycare are the days leading up to your child's first day. For only the second time in my life, I was full of anxiety and dread, thinking about taking Busy somewhere without her parents or another family member. Monday night, I cried - would she feel abandoned without us all day? Would she think we weren't coming back for her? Tuesday morning, I cried. I got her ready and ended up making the Husband drop her off...I just couldn't do it. I also made him pick her up, because I wanted her to attend for only a half day at first. When I found out he hadn't picked her up by one o'clock, I might have raised my voice to him on the phone. When I found out at 2:55 p.m. that he was JUST going to pick her up, I told him to GO GET HER NOW in a slightly louder than normal voice (no, I wasn't yelling...sort of). The report back from the first day was good - she was smiling and happy, and she had made friends with a just-over-one-year old named Alonzo.

Aside from crying a bit that first day, I actually handled daycare pretty well. When I think about it rationally, I know that I went to daycare, and I turned out fine. I know that almost all of my friends' children either went or are going to daycare, and they are happy, well-adjusted kids. I know that she's too young to feel abandoned or to worry that we aren't coming back for her. As long as I don't let my emotions get the best of me, I do okay.

I like that we're starting to settle into a routine. I come home from work, kiss her and love her, and she gives me big smiles. We play on the floor for awhile, then she plays in her Exersaucer while I make dinner. I feed her some solids (such a big girl, she had her first solids this week and LOVES them), give her a bath, then she gets in her PJs and has a bottle. Not long after that, it's bedtime for her, and I have a little time to clean up the house, make my lunch, or watch some tv before bed (except for last night, when I fell asleep on the couch right after she went to bed and got nothing done).

My new favorite picture of her...although forgive the quality, I took a picture of a printed picture.
While I'd like to work part-time or not at all, I know it's not possible right now, and so I'm happy with the way things are working out. Of course, I still haven't dropped her off or picked her up from daycare this week. I'm afraid dropping her off might start the emotions going and send me into a fit of tears.

Next week I'm going to have to stop being such a wienie and do it, though - Hubby goes back to work on Wednesday. Yikes!

1 comment:

  1. This was my second week of full time and leaving Jordyn with her daddy. I've still cried a few times, but I'm getting stronger, I just know you'll get there, too!

    ReplyDelete

Do you want to leave a comment? Don't be shy, go ahead! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know someone is reading my little old blog.