Thursday, January 13, 2011

Observations from a candy wrapper

Lots of people have been saying some awfully nice things to me lately: "Glad you're back," "You look great," "Happiness looks good on you."

Wait, what was that last one?

Okay so the one who has been saying the nicest things to me? Dove Chocolates. That's right, candy wrappers speak to me, and boy are they nice lately.

My coworker has a wine glass full of Dove Dark Chocolates on her desk, ready for any of us who are having one of those days. Yesterday I had to deal with a ridiculous issue at work (seriously, you wouldn't believe some of the issues people bring to HR), and after I put out the fire, I wandered over to my coworker's cubicle for a little piece of heaven. I unwrapped my piece of candy and saw the message, "Happiness looks good on you."

How nice.

It totally made my day. A simple little message in a cheap piece of foil brightened my spirits and made me smile. So of course I had another one, because I wanted to see what the other messages were. My second piece of chocolate carried the message, "Be free. Be happy. Be you." I loved it!

I had grabbed three pieces of chocolate (don't judge!), but I didn't eat that third one right away. This morning, however, I saw it sitting there on my desk, staring at me, just waiting to be eaten.

So I ate it. Strictly for educational purposes, of course. And it's message was even better: "You are exactly where you are supposed to be."

Now how did a piece of chocolate know that I was feeling guilty this morning for leaving my sweet, adorable, baby girl at home? That I felt like a horrible mother because I had to work late last night and didn't get home until after she was asleep? I know it's just a cookie-cutter message printed in a thousand chocolate wrappers, but today, that wrapper made me feel validated. Yes, it sucks that I'm away from Busy (I'll have to explain her nickname later), but for now, someone has to go to work to bring home the bacon. I'm incredibly lucky that I was able to be home for the first four months of her life, and I'm even more blessed that G is able to be home with her for the next two months. It sucks that we can't afford for me to stay home with her indefinitely, but I know that I'm working full-time now in order to be able to afford to stay home with her part (or full!) time with her in the future.

I just have to keep telling myself that.

3 comments:

  1. You are right where you need to be. I know exactly how hard it is. It gets easier, and even when you get home late, it's okay. Glad a little chocolate message from the universe found you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice message Dove gave you.

    I had no idea their chocolates have messages in them. I might pick up a bag to keep with me when I'm having oneofthosedays. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks H.

    Katie they're great! They used to have sucky messages, because they used quotes people sent in. Now, they're just so nice!! And really, it's chocolate, so you can't go wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete

Do you want to leave a comment? Don't be shy, go ahead! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know someone is reading my little old blog.