Friday, August 6, 2010

Observations from maternity leave

Wednesday was my first day of maternity leave!! Yahoo! It still hasn't really hit me that I don't have to go back to work until January...I feel like I've just been calling in sick and I have to remember everything for when I go back on Monday. I suppose it'll hit me when, oh, I have a baby.

Anyway, I didn't do too much on Wednesday (although I've done a bit too much this week; I'm definitely starting to learn my limits, and at 36 weeks pregnant, limited I am). I went to the grocery store, went to Starbucks, and did some laundry. Here are some random things I observed on my first day of maternity leave (which was also the day I hit 36 weeks):

1. People don't always hold the door for pregnant women. Why don't people hold the door for people anyway? I don't think this is something that men should strictly do for women - I hold the door for people all the time, men, women, doesn't matter. I was raised to be polite, and I think holding the door for someone is a simple gesture that you should always do for others. On my first date with the hubby, I knew he was the one for me; not only did he hold the door for me at the restaurant, but when he came to pick me up, he actually walked around to my side of the car and opened my door for me (and to this day, if he's around, I don't open doors).

2. Winco is just as busy at 9:00 a.m. on a Wednesday as it is at 9:00 a.m. on a Saturday. This was a bummer, but after I got over the crowd, I realized that it was crowded with old people, disabled people, and older housewives. This was much preferred to the crowds of the weekend that include parents who bring their entire brood with them to the grocery store.

3. My dishwasher is broken. This is truly a bummer; as I've been both busy and tired lately, and my kitchen is suffering from my laziness. The dishwasher has been making funny noises for a while now, but it still worked...until Wednesday. I always wash my dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, but hubby loaded the dishwasher last (exciting, no?!). He doesn't rinse, wash, or scrape food off the dishes so much before he loads the dishwasher (which is probably why he almost never does them, it drives me nuts). However, I was so excited he did the dishes this week; I began to unload the dishwasher, and thought that it hadnt been run - there was crap all over the dishes. I ran the dishwasher again, and when I went to unload the second time, still crap. I ended up hand-washing those dishes, then did another load today (washing all dishes before I put them in the dishwasher...redundant, maybe, but I was always taught this way) just to see if maybe it was the non-prewashing that was the problem. Nope, they're not shiny and water-spot free. Total freakin' bummer. Oh well, I guess this is why we have a home warranty.

4. There are a lot of people out and about on a Wednesday, and not just at the grocery store. I went and got gas at Sam's Club, which is almost never busy. Wednesday, packed! I also saw a semi at Sam's club for the first time (at the gas station). I couldn't help myself, I had to ask him how much it cost to fill up his tanks (because I was filling up the truck, which is always double the cost of filling up the Jetta). He said it cost him about 600 bucks, and would last him two days or about 1600 miles. I thanked him for making me feel better about filling up my tank, and told him to have a good day. He was a nice white-trash-hippie trucker.

Well that's it. I'm sure I'll have more random observations from maternity leave soon. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. So Winco is just busy all the time? Crazy.

    If you get bored in the next couple of weeks, come meet me on my lunch break when I work at the Elk Grove store!!

    ReplyDelete

Do you want to leave a comment? Don't be shy, go ahead! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know someone is reading my little old blog.