Thursday, February 11, 2010

Give me your recipes, please!

Lately I’ve been really bad about making dinner and lunches to bring to work. I get home and I’m so tired that all I want to do is eat a bowl of cereal and sit on the couch. However, my health and my wallet are begging me to get back in the groove and start using all the food that’s going to waste in my fridge.

I’m going to write a post soon about meal planning, but for right now, I actually have a question for all of you. What are your staple meals? What meals make it into your weekly rotation every week, or perhaps are your standby meal for when you just don’t know what else to make. Mine is spaghetti, but I also have tuna noodle casserole and chili. My mom used to always rotate wok chicken, chicken tacos, chili, pork chops, etc.

I’m trying to build my cache of recipes and I want to know what your tried and true recipes are. Maybe it’s something you found, or maybe it’s a recipe that’s been in your family for 50 years. If they’re short, post them in the comments section; if not, email me here.

If you send them to me and I end up making it a regular in my rotation, it could end up in the family cookbook I’m making.

6 comments:

  1. we eat loads of whole wheat cous cous...cheap fast & easy! it's not a recipe but it adds to boring, light meals

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to make a pork tenderloin in the crock pot (bigger then what we can eat) then dinner is ready when I get home. Just have to steam some veggies. I use the extra for the next nights dinner, either pulled pork sandwiches or tonight I'm making lettuce wraps with it!! Super easy and delicious!!
    The crock pot is my best friend!!
    If you like split pea soup I have a recipe for the crock pot it's super easy and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh geez, i have a ton:
    -tortellini soup and grilled cheese
    -cheesey tortellini bake
    -pesto chicken packets
    -shells w/ ricotta and spinach
    -sliders and homemade fries
    -chicken dot soup
    -italian sausage soup
    i have more, but can't think of 'em right now. if any of those sound okay, let me know and i'll email the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make my mom's pasta carbonara recipe all the time. Super easy and quick:

    Slice 4-5 strips of bacon into bite-size pieces. Cook in saucepan with 2-3 cloves of garlic, cut in half (I've started just using 1-2 cloves finely minced). Once the bacon's nearly done cooking, remove the garlic (if you're using big chunks).
    Add 1/4 cup white wine, cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Add 1/3 cup whipping cream, cook for about 2 more minutes, remove pan from heat.

    Cook pasta, drain, and mix with 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, 1 whole egg, and 1 egg yolk. Mix with bacon-cream mixture and serve.

    I've eaten this since I was a kid; I love my mom's version so much I can't eat the dish in restaurants.

    --Allison

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone, your ideas sound great!

    Nicole, I do love split pea soup, so I'd love the recipe.

    Katie, I'd love to have cheesy tortellini bake, the chicken pesto packets, and what is chicken dot soup?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't sure how to copy and paste it so I just emailed it to you!
    Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Do you want to leave a comment? Don't be shy, go ahead! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know someone is reading my little old blog.