Monday, January 4, 2010

The Writing Project - Accidentally Continued

Do you remember me saying that I was going to be disciplined and write at least one article/story/something a week? Well, I got sick right after I wrote that, and then discipline all but disappeared from my life.

Until today.

Today I had a stroke of genius! I was trying to decide how I’d decide what to write about. I read a news story where a man rolls some dice each night and the numbers on the dice become the number of words he includes in his story each night. Then I thought about the movie Julie and Julia, and how she wrote each day about the recipe she cooked the night before. I needed a great idea, but I’m not so great at coming up with new ideas – I’m actually better at copying and improving upon other’s great ideas.

Today I finally got an idea of my own. It may not be great, but it’ll work for now, and hopefully it’ll keep you interested. I’m going to write each week about a news story.

Don’t start yawning on me now – just wait. It isn’t necessarily going to be a huge news story about peace in the Middle East (or lack thereof), or the rise (and fall) of Wall Street. I know this is probably bad, but honestly, I don’t care that much about those things. I read news stories about things that interest me or affect me. I know both of those things do potentially affect me, and should definitely interest me, but they don’t. I’m interested in missing person’s cold cases, the horrible leadership of our great state, or a great shoe sale at Macy’s. I may be interested in articles on child-rearing (hey, it’s in the future) or urban planning, or the newest superfood. I like to think I’m a pleasantly eclectic mix of interests…not too heavy on one subject so as to alienate my readers who, like me, may crave variety.

Today’s article (coming soon in another post) is actually neither of those, but more of a light-hearted look into the way someone else thinks (which, as you all know, is something I love…taking a look into others’ lives).

So, join me on my writing project – comment, leave tips, leave thoughts. Or don’t. Whatever works for you.

1 comment:

  1. i'm dying to read anything you write! get on it lady! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Do you want to leave a comment? Don't be shy, go ahead! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know someone is reading my little old blog.