Monday, January 4, 2010

Writing Project #1 - Article Thoughts

I've always been a big fan of reading, and there is one type of book that I particularly love. I love books that not only tell a story, but really let you into the character's head so you know what they're thinking and why. A few of my favorite books are Save Karyn, the Confession of a Shopaholic series, and The Devil Wears Prada. I know, they're not literary classics, but in each one, the main character leads you on a journey of their inner-most secrets. There's always something in these books that you can relate to, even if you don't want to admit it. Like in the Shopaholic series - as I read I can literally feel the thrill of hunting for a new purse, finding just the right one, and reaching into my wallet at the checkstand to pay for it...the feeling of victory when the screen flashes "approved" and the cashier hands the item to me and it's officially mine. To me, reading books like these are like looking in someone's house to see how they live: what's in their junk drawers, what brand of makeup is in their bathroom, what bills may be laying around in their piles of mail.

I love to learn the things about people that we don't normally share - I've said it before, I'd love to stop random women on the street and ask them what's in their purse. I think it's so interesting to see what other people have, why they have it, what they use it for (after all, at first glance would you guess the permanent marker in my purse is for writing? It's not - it's for filling in scuffs on my black shoes...see, interesting, no?).

Today I read an article on CNN.com, one of my favorite websites to peruse when I am on a break at work. This news story caught my interest - I really couldn't care whether this woman can't sleep, but I loved reading the things she worries about that cause her not to sleep. Not because any of the things she worries about are things I worry about - after all, I couldn't care less if acid wash jeans make a comeback, and I don't worry about getting the ebola virus (okay, maybe a little) - but just because I'm curious what others think. Here's a list of things I worry about when I can't sleep:

  • I worry that I'll never get back in shape. It used to be so easy to lose weight, 'back when I was young.' I'll be 28 in 2 days, and it sure was easier to lose weight at 21 than it is at almost 28...what's it going to be like when I'm 40!?!
  • I worry that I'll never pay off my debt, and I feel guilty about the amount I charged up. I admit it - I used to be a spendthrift. Perhaps it was a little too much Shopaholic influence, or perhaps it was just a normal 20-something getting carried away with a hobby she loved, but boy did I use my credit cards. To my credit (ha, get it?), I haven't used credit in about three years now, and my debt is well on it's way to being gone. But I lie awake sometimes thinking about the things I could be doing (or buying) if I wasn't still paying off old debt.
  • I worry about what I'll do with my life. I went through a phase recently where I didn't really see a reason to have kids; after all, unless you know they're going to become the president or create a new life-saving drug, then really, you're just bringing someone into the world who is going to use up it's natural resources and contribute nothing to society. I mean, what have I contributed? What do I really want to do with my life? Should I make a radical change and try to work in a "helping" profession? Will that make me feel like my life is meaningful?
  • I worry about trivial things like what I'll wear to work the next day. I have a closet full of clothes that don't fit, and the clothes that do fit are pretty limited. Either that or they're the ones strewn about my bedroom that I can't find when it's dark and I'm not fully awake in the morning.

So, read the article, then think about the things that keep you awake at night? What are they? Do we share any worries? Do you have any strategies for dealing with your worries? I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I worry like no other too! And I do share your worry about what to wear the next day - that one will always keep me awake. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Do you want to leave a comment? Don't be shy, go ahead! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know someone is reading my little old blog.