Monday, January 4, 2010

The 50 Book Challenge is Back

Last year (well, two years ago now I suppose, since its 2010…eek!) my friend inspired me to read 50 books in one year. I didn’t make it to 50, but I did make an impressive dent in the library (okay, I think I read 36 books…still, nothing to sneeze at). In 2009, I completely failed at reading. Sure, I read lots of books, but many of them were repeats, and I think I spent more time watching TV and playing video games (easy to do since we got Direct TV and a Wii in 2009).

2010 is going to be the Year of the Bookworm in my household. Okay, Grant hates to read, but it can be the Year of the Bookworm for me. Inspired by yet another friend (who read 48 books in 2009!) I’m going to renew my vow to read 50 books.

And I’m already four days behind!

The rules are as follows (yes, there are rules):


  • Any book that contains a majority of words and minority (if any) of pictures counts as a book. For example, I’m currently reading “Mastering the Art of French Cooking.” If I finish, I’m going to count this as a book. There’s a whole story in the beginning, and scattered throughout the recipes are additional narratives. In my book, this is a book.
  • You cannot read the same book more than once. You can, but it won’t count more than once. You can even reread a book you’ve already read, but you can only read it once this year for credit. For example, I’m going to read the Harry Potter series this year. I’ve already read them all, but the first time I read them this year will count towards my grand total; if I reread them a second time this year, the second time does not count as a book.
  • The year is a calendar year from January 1, 2010 through December 31, 2010 at 11:59 p.m. Which means I’m already four days behind – shoot!
  • You must track your books. You must keep track of the books you’ve read (for obvious reasons, such as so you know how many books you’ve read, and then also just for fun), the author, and how many pages each book is. More pages isn’t always more impressive, but it’s still neat to see how many total pages you read.

So – anyone else up for the challenge? Come on, who wants to read 50 books with me?

3 comments:

  1. I'm in! I don't think I can set my sights quite as ahigh as 50 but I'm up for a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly! Our book club ended up falling apart so this will be great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! I chose my first book tonight - one of the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. If you've never read them, you should!

    ReplyDelete

Do you want to leave a comment? Don't be shy, go ahead! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know someone is reading my little old blog.