Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My little boy

My little boy is not so little anymore.

For those of you who don't know me so well, he's not my son.

He's my dog.

Yep, I have a dog who is like my child. I know you're all saying, "April, a dog is nothing like a child." I get that. However, he is VERY good training for having children. He woke up every hour at night to potty when he was young; he barfs and poops and I have to clean it up, he even whines. On the good side, he snuggles and cuddles and loves me too.

For a long time, Bruiser weighed 12.9 pounds. He's a miniature dachshund, so 12-15 pounds is an appropriate weight range for him. For the first two years of his life, we lived in an apartment in Midtown, and we went on walks almost every night. Now, we live in the Burbs and don't go on walks nearly as often. Bruiser still plays outside a lot and chases his toys, but he is WAY lazier than he used to be.

The last time I weighed him, he had gone up to 14.9 pounds! TWO POUNDS GAINED! I called him porky even then, and started to worry about watching his weight. Today, I weighed him again.

16.4 pounds!

Crap, in miniature dachshund terms, he's obese. So, tonight Bruiser and I went running (because technically, I'm obese too...scary). I ran, Bruiser not so much. He apparently needs to practice walking again. He's still very good on a leash, but he had to sniff EVERY light pole that we walked past, and had to pee on most of them. Needless to say, it was a short walk/run. We're going to try again tomorrow.

Here are a few pictures of Bruiser I found when I was going through my computer tonight. You can see how he got older, and fatter, in the progression (pictures are in reverse progression...starting with tonight. That sweater used to fit him much better - now he looks like a sausage in stripes).

Bruiser just after our failed walk/run tonight.

Almost two years old.

He doesn't get tennis balls anymore...he gets seriously obsessed.

Awwwwwww...

He looks so young! He loved that blanket...actually he loved it to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you want to leave a comment? Don't be shy, go ahead! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know someone is reading my little old blog.