Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Yes, I really am that person

I like to think that I’m a fairly organized person. Some people will tell you I’m an incredibly organized person, but the truth is, I have great organizational ideas, but not all of them make it in to production, so to speak.

I keep a TON of lists, and I’m very good at seeing something and knowing how to clean it up, keep it neat, etc. Again, it doesn’t always happen, but I spend a lot of time thinking about organization.

One of the things I’ve been thinking about is how I never know if I’m getting a good deal at the grocery store. I can’t remember what a good price is for a can of diced tomatoes, or a bag of pasta, or even a pound of ground beef. I’ve been thinking about making some sort of chart, so I can enter the prices that I’ve paid at different stores for different grocery items, and then compare them so that I know what is actually a good price.

Some of you may just go to the same grocery store all the time, but I shop at many different stores. There are some things I get only from Trader Joe’s, then there’s the “big shopping” at Winco or, if I’m willing to drive, the Super Wal-Mart. Then there’s the “quick stops” on the way home at Bel-Air or Safeway, which are right across the street from each other and on my way home. I also go to Costco, but I don’t really think its right to compare prices from Costco, because there really is no comparison.

Lately, I’ll buy something on sale at Bel-Air, but then realize it’s not really a great price. Or, even at Winco, I’ll think, ‘Wow I could get this so much cheaper at Wal-Mart.” I used to spend a lot of time in the grocery store, writing down the price of each item on my list. Of course, that was when I was buying for one and I didn’t have as many items on my list. Now, I write a list, but I never use it…I just roam up and down each aisle of the store, grabbing what I need (which is why I always seem to buy so much – I can’t stick to a list).

So, yesterday, I started my chart. Yes, I actually created a spreadsheet of how much I’m paying for items at the store, whether it’s a regular price or a sale price, and then figuring out where the best place is to buy that item.

I really am that person.

Look, here’s a little sample. Don’t think I’m too weird…although if you do, I’m okay with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you want to leave a comment? Don't be shy, go ahead! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know someone is reading my little old blog.