Wednesday, March 4, 2009

We did it!

It's been a long, annoying, frustrating, and anger-filled process. But, it's over. As of about 3:00 p.m. yesterday, we're officially homeowners!!!

I never really thought it would happen. Of course, I thought it would happen in that obscure, "Oh I'll own a home someday" kind of way. But I certainly didn't expect it to happen now. And it was not an easy process - which surprised me, because when we were first pre-approved, we were told we were financially solid, that our employment history was great, etc.

And yet - there were bumps in the road.

One thing people often don't know about me is that I'm a worrier. I try to hide it, but it's there, in the pit of my stomach. I found out only a few years ago that my mom is the queen of all worriers - I had NO idea growing up what a worry wart she is, but she can put me to shame (I guess she hid it well, too!).

So anyway, throughout this whole process, I've had this knot in my stomach and a tiny, nagging, negative thought tucked away in the spider-webby back caverns of my brain. I was unwilling to believe we were actually going to be homeowners until we had the keys in our hand, because you never know what can go wrong. Plus, I didn't tell a lot of people at first, because, again, if something went wrong, I didn't want to have to explain it to lots of people.

If you haven't bought a home yet, let me tell you - the process blows. We had an awesome realtor, who worked harder than she probably needed to, but I appreciate her even more for it. However, it is amazing the amount of information the lenders need from you - I am glad we don't have kids yet, because I'm fairly certain they would have taken our first born. The fact that they needed all this information didn't bother me; I expected it. It was the lack of organzation that bothered me (did you read my earlier post about lack of preparation? Same thing). Every day I'd get a phone call or an email, asking me for additional information. Then, the next day, they'd need either another form of that same info, or more info that they could have asked for that first time. It was soooooooooooooooooo annoying!

Anyway, it's done. Grant and I stuffed ourselves full of sushi last night to celebrate, realizing that it'll probably be awhile before we can afford to eat out again. Tomorrow, I start cleaning the new place, painting Friday, and moving Sunday.

And yet still, I don't feel like the process is done. I still feel like something could go wrong. Maybe after the move, when I physically sleep there, I'll feel better.

Of course, then I have to unpack!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! So happy you're going to be close.

    Hey, what's up with your banner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to resize it...but haven't had time.

    ReplyDelete

Do you want to leave a comment? Don't be shy, go ahead! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know someone is reading my little old blog.