Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Top Five

Today is Wednesday, which means on RAD this morning, Rob and Arnie were doing their Top Five lists. I've decided to start my own Top Five list of sorts - it may be a top five list, it may just be five random things, but what the heck. You all want to know more about me, right?

This inaugural top five list is actually a post I created awhile ago but never finished. I was having a particularly bad day at work, and I was making myself feel better by making a list of things I'd remember to do (or not do) when I'm a manager.

So here goes - Top Five Things I Wish Management Would Remember (From an Employee's Point of View).

1. As an employee, I am not your friend. I am your employee. Please remember that and don't tell me about your family, or your divorce, or even what you did this weekend (five minutes, okay, but not an hour). Do not expect me to share my personal life with you, because I don't want to.

2. In order to secure everyone's buy-in, you have to ask for input from your staff. And simply asking for input is not enough; you must implement staffs' suggestions (or at least explain why they are not feasible). Don't just shut staff down. Instead of "No I don't want to do that," a manager could say "Let me tell you my concerns with that."

3. The fastest way to kill an employee's motivation is to demonstrate that you are not open to their suggestions or assistance.

4. PLEASE prove to me that you are a professional who is worthy of being a manager. When you call a meeting, have an agenda, and stick to it. Before you ask me for help, say on how to open an Outlook Calendar, try to do it yourself. You may figure it out.

5. BE FAIR! I don't care what kind of boss you are, if you are fair and consistent, you will be respected. I've had bosses that I just did not like, who I had to respect, because they treated each and every person the same. They treated everyone the same, and they were consistent across the board.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you want to leave a comment? Don't be shy, go ahead! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know someone is reading my little old blog.