Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Power of Shopping

Over the last few, well, years, I've gotten to be quite the shopaholic. This isn't exactly something that I'm proud of, as I've put myself in debt that I should have avoided. Last month I made a commitment to not purchase anything that wasn't routine or absolutely necessary - no frills. I did okay, although I bought an awful lot of Starbucks, and I did a little bit of thrill shopping here and there. I did much better, however, than I have in a long time.

This month, I reinforced my commitment to no-frills shopping. So far, I'm actually doing really good (yes, I realize it is only the 5th), and the positive balance in my bank account is a strong motivating factor to not buy crap.

However, there is something about shopping that I just LOVE. No, that I NEED.

Shopping truly is my hobby.

I was at Starbucks tonight - I know what you're going to say...but in the interest of budgeting, I put a set amount on my Starbucks card this month and when it's gone, I'm done - and I had left the house where I'm dog-sitting specifically for Starbucks, and that was it. However, I got into my car and felt this incredible need to just go somewhere. I was racking my brain, trying to think of things I might need to buy, or stores I might need to visit: Target? No, don't need anything. Ross? No, can't buy a new purse or clothes. Raleys? Nope, don't even need any groceries. Dang.

I don't know what it is about shopping, but I really do feel a pull when I'm out and about near stores. It's like, I have money, and money is buying power, which means I have the power to choose what I want to buy. And that equates to plain old power, and I like power. I'm drawn to power. I love power.

Can it be that I've just had an epiphany?

I shop not because I need things, or even because I desire things, but for the pure joy of the shopping experience itself? The power of choosing something, of pulling out that cash, credit or debit card, and saying "Damn right, I can afford this and I choose to buy this."

Of course, I usually get home and realize, No I can't really afford it, and I definitely should not have chosen to buy it...

2 comments:

  1. From one purse lover to another...have you checked out the new little shop that opened in Old town EG? It's right near the light at EG Blvd and School Street. They have purses, shoes, jewelry, perfume and doggie apparel. Over priced to say the least, but worth the trip. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
    Happy Shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen that shop yet! However, we just bought a house in EG so I'll be moving back next week. I think I've found my first stop!!

    ReplyDelete

Do you want to leave a comment? Don't be shy, go ahead! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know someone is reading my little old blog.